Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lately I have the feeling that I'm in a pregnancy purgatory. Most people don't know that I'm pregnant. I don't look pregnant to the average observer. My symptoms are very real but completely manageable. It's too soon for buying maternity clothes or nursery junk, and I have no idea what I would want in those areas anyway. I've basically had to get some of the biggest news of my life and then go back to the ordinary the very next day. Since I haven't even had an ultrasound yet it can often feel completely unreal.

There are times when it really hits me that this is happening, though. Sometimes it is brought on by a baby next to me in the checkout lane, other times I'm looking at someone's suit in court and thinking I should get another skirt suit but then realize I won't be buying any "regular" clothes for quite a while. The other day it happened when I moved a box of tampons to get to the Q-tips under the bathroom sink. Then I realized. Wow. I won't be needing those anytime soon.

I was sharing the tampon story with B (hubby/daddy) in the grocery store last night. Why? Oh I dunno, I tend to enter a stream-of-consciousness ramble when I'm around him and otherwise bored. He glanced at me, a bit surprised, and then just shook his head. To be honest, I was a little annoyed. I mean, come on, this whole pregnancy thing is just starting to become a reality and it's the day to day things you really notice, you know? Then I realized - there was a 60-something guy standing really close to us in the aisle trying to reach around me for some noodles. Oh. Hi. The poor guy turned on his heel and walked away, noodle-less. I tend to have that affect on people.

No comments:

Post a Comment